Sunday, June 21, 2009

Experiences with LTSP eduBuntu

Frankly I was not looking to install LTSP but a series of events forced me to install LTSP. Well its not a long story but somehow I was convinced that if I have to replace my Ubuntu it has to be a Ubuntu. Since Ubuntu's support is the best right now. I tried Gentoo but aborted midway. I installed Mandriva but that too ended in my discomfort with the UI. In the end it was my hidden desire to check out the educational software that comes with edubuntu that motivated me to put that CD in. So that triggered a chain of events which led from one thing to another.

So I put the eduBuntu Install CD 6.06 into my machine and let it install. When I had got it installed I came to know it came with LTSP. So I checked out my laptop's PXE capability (PXE = Pre-boot Execution Environment) and then using a switch I tried to get my laptop to boot with the LTSP. The result was that it was unable to get an IP Address. This meant that I have to tweek the /etc/dhcp3/dhcp.conf and get it to give IPs from the range of addresses for my local network. This led to another problem tftf could not find file problem. In the end I was able to get my laptop boot from my LTSP Server but could not log into the X-server environment. Meanwhile I had to upgrade to the next LTS (Long time support) Linux called Hardy edubuntu and that one was extremely cool since for the first time I had an Operating System which was able to recognize my LCD screen and allow me to use it to its full potential.


Regarding the educational software that came with it. I would write another post where I would be looking at the capabilities and potential usage of the software.

In a nut shell it was not easy to setup the edubuntu (as claimed by many that its a half an hour exercise).

No comments: